August is the time of year when the sun is strong, and things really heat up. With Summer in full swing, making sure that you have the best sun protection for your child (and yourself) becomes a top priority. Since my sunscreen has expired (make sure you check yours as well – expired sunscreen doesn’t work as well), I decided to research the best sunscreens that are out there.
A couple of notes on searching out a new sunscreen:
- Make sure that it covers a broad spectrum of both UVA and UVB light. Just look for the ingredients Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide, and you should be good to go.
- The SPF (the Sun Protection Factor) should be at 30 SPF. Higher SPF does not provide that much extra protection (30 SPF offers 97% protection of UVB rays, where 65 SPF offers 98% protection – ultimately it is not much more, and it just means more chemicals)
- Make sure it is Water Resistant – Even if you are not going to go into the water, you most likely will be sweating if you are in the sun, so water resistant sun protection will overall protect better.
- If your child has sensitive skin, making sure that it is Hypo-allergenic and Fragrance Free is especially important.
- You don’t have to drive yourself crazy searching for a “kids” sunscreen. As long as your sunscreen has the above, there isn’t a problem with having a family sunscreen.
- Reapply often. Even if your sunscreen says that you do not need to reapply for 8 hours, definitely reapply every 1-2 hours.
- Protect your lips by using a lip balm that has sunscreen in it.
- Try to wear as much sun protection clothing as possible. For little ones, make sure they have a hat on, and try to cover as much of their skin as possible if they are going to be in the sun for long periods of time. Also, for infants 6 months and under, you should not stay in straight sunlight for longer than 30 minutes. Try to find places in the shade, or cover them up as much as possible.
- Wear Sunglasses.
- Keep Hydrated.
After much research, here are the most recommended brands of sunscreens:
Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen For Face & Body 2.9 oz (87 ml)Take care of your skin naturally with high-quality, all natural Sun protection and after sun (and everyday) care!100% All Natural!!
Blue Lizard Australian Suncream, Baby SPF 30+, 5-OunceThis new product uses the newest nanotechnological super micronized ingredients titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Great for sensitive skin.
California Baby SPF 30 + No Fragrance, Sunscreen Lotion – Super Sensitive, 2.9 oz Unfragranced, PABA free, non-chemical, California Baby sunscreen is perfect for those with skin sensitivities or fragrance allergies.
Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, Pure & Simple, SPF 50, 8 oz.Tear free. Oil, fragrance & dye free. Broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection. Hypoallergenic. Waterproof.
Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Lotion SPF 60, 5.0-OuncesBroad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with Purescreen, a physical sunblock. Purescreen is fragrance free and contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, naturally-sourced sunscreen ingredients that are gentle on baby’s delicate skin.
BurnOut SPF 30+ KIDS Physical SunscreenHypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, non-greasy, and perfect for sensitive skin. Chemical-free, biodegradeable, ocean-safe, and eco-sensitive.
Vanicream Sunscreen, Sensitive Skin, Spf 60, 4 OunceContains Zinc Oxide, offers protection from UVA as well as UVB. Antioxidants in the formula help prevent damage to the skin by neutralizing free radicals produced when skin is exposed to the sun.
Loving Naturals SPF 30 Sunscreen Zinc Oxide 5 Oz. UVA/UVB Vegan100% Natural Ingredients, Blocks Both UVA and UVB Rays, Water Resistant and Non-Greasy, and Certified Organic, Cruelty Free and Vegan.
Now that you are all set with your sunscreen, get out there, and have a good time! I hope that this was of some help to you. Cheers!